The Stronghold of the Cross
1 Cor 1:17-25 (ESV quoted)
How big is the Cross?
How powerful is its effect?
Redemption, Regeneration, Restoration, Reconciliation
– are all made powerful and effective through the cross.
- The Cross of Christ is Powerful: Vs. 17 “lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power.”
- The Cross of Christ exposes our foolishness: Vs. 18 “For the word of the cross is folly to those who are perishing”
- The Cross of Christ is central to Salvation: Vs. 21 “it pleased God through the folly of what we preach to save those who believe”
- The Cross of Christ is both the Wisdom of God and the Power of God: Vs. 24 “Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God.”
- The Cross of Christ God’s value system on display: Vs. 25 “For the foolishness of God is wiser than men, and the weakness of God is stronger than man.”