Jon McKenzie is a Police Detective with 34 years experience at the coal face, based in Whakatane and chair of the Police Christian Support Network (PCSN).
The PCSN was established in 2005 with the main focus of supporting Christian staff in the Police environment and helping to connect Christians so that they know that there are others who walk this same journey. It is a voluntary grassroots network that functions simply to support and empower staff in their faith journey as Christian Police officers and employees within the work environment. There are currently over 500 staff on the PCSN database.
The support occurs through a range of activities including social media, email, newsletters, local gatherings, informal fellowship and national conferences. The last PCSN conference – held in Christchurch in March – was an inspiring event for all attending. One of the most notable achievements for the PCSN has been partnering with the NZ Bible Society to produce the first ever Bible for Police. Approximately 5,000 of these Bibles (of the original 7,500 printed) have already been distributed to staff since its inception in October 2020.
As he shares and leads us into a time of prayer, Jon will focus not on the crime stats, but rather on what God is already doing – for our government leaders, the Police and the church across New Zealand. That God’s light shine in dark places and His hope be planted where there is no hope.
- Pray for the leaders of our nation (1 Timothy 2 v 1-2) (Leaders enact policies and laws which significantly affect us all, therefore let’s pray for our leaders that God honouring decisions will come forth from the seat of Government).
- Pray that God will turn the hearts of the parents to their children, and the hearts of the children to their parents (Malachi 4 v 6). Many of the issues associated with crime and demands on Police resources arise from fatherlessness and the breakdown of the family unit.
- Pray that we the church (and our nation) will humble ourselves and pray and seek God’s face, repent and turn from our wicked ways, so that God will come and heal our land (2 Chronicles 7 v 14)
- Pray for God’s light to shine in dark places and His hope to be planted where there is no hope. Pray that we would be God’s tools in accomplishing this and that we would become the church of Isaiah 61.
- Pray for the Police Christian Support Network (PCSN) to be effective in its focus to support and empower Christian staff.
- Pray that the Bible for Police will continue to be effective in speaking into all staffs’ lives.